← "Cell Phone Camera Photojournalism of Bathroom Propaganda Graffiti" | Return to Main Page | "Diction and Translation" →
April 24, 2005
Asia by Democratic Underground
It's too simplistic, but mainstream American politics can be divided into a line between left and right. To use personalities, it goes from
All of these people either have or will run for a major party's nomination for President. Farther left than Kucinich, or farther right than Buchanan, someone can't even do that.
Websites also mirror this spread -- Democratic Underground is far left while Free Republic is far right. In a future post I'll look at with the Far Right is saying about Asia today, but below are average Democratic Underground "far left" comments on Asian issues...
On Human Rights
And China has the cash to buy loyalty. As the US once did.
Conclusion: the far left of mainstream American politics share the following beliefs on Asia
Whether these views are accurate, or whether I accurately captured the mainstream far left, is left to the reader.
What are the views of the mainstream far right? That is a post for another time...posted by Dan tdaxp on 04.24.05 at 04:23 AM in the
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Send a manual trackback ping to this post.
Saturday on SimonWorld
Excerpt: Apologies for the paltry posts today. In addition to Biz's temporary return to South Dakota, I am a guest blogger on the esteemed Simon World this week. tdaxp's posts Thanksgiving - a shout-out to my friends Asia by Democratic Underground - t...
Tracked: April 24, 2005 09:25 AM
It'll be interesting when you post the 'far-right' opinions, 'cuz I'm pretty sure that I'm going to find myself with the DUers more than the Freeps, which is against pretty much everything else in my political thoughts.posted by: Kelvin on 04.24.05 at 07:16 AM [permalink]
Oh Kelvin, as a regular reader of the Free Republic (hidden one though, I don't dare reveal myself) I can answer that question myself fairly easily.
1) In ALL threads regarding China, invoke the name of Bill Clinton at least once, preferrably 4 or 5 times. Or more appropriately Klintoon, Xlinton, or simply traitor.
2) China is waging economic war against the United States. No ifs ands or buts, anyone who thinks otherwise is a Free "Traitor"(Trader). Impose tariffs NOW.
3) Chinese are a military menace. They apparently have bases all over Africa, South America (especially Panama thanks to another arch-traitor Jimmah Carter), and possibly France, Canada, and California.
4) Note that there is a degree of schizophrenia when it comes to the China threat. While most of the Free Republic posts exhibit of what I call tendency A as previously mentioned, a significant number exhibit tendency B, which is as follows. Chicoms are crap and we can kick their asses without breaking a sweat or better yet invoke Taiwan or Japan to kick their asses. God Bless America!
5) Chicoms are communist thus we can employ every age old pejorative from the aged and well-worn red-baiting playbook add in an uncommon and occassional racist remark and voila.
You may think I'm being facetious and you are right, but really though, beyond the howling and gnashing of teeth over Clinton, unending criticism of trade relations between China and the United States, and China threat fantasies/delirium, and the general anti-communist rhetoric there isn't really that much. Occassionally you may have a mention about human rights, but its generally relegated to bolster criticism of Clinton or criticism of trade policy or general anti-communist paranoia.
The opinions on China via the Free Republic all fall into two broad yet highly conclusive categories. The amusingly uninformed versus the willfully misinformed.posted by: Jing on 04.24.05 at 07:14 PM [permalink]
John McCain is a lefty. Probably left of Hillary. Check out what he votes for and how he has used his influence. RINO at best. A Mancurian candidate?posted by: Huggy on 04.26.05 at 04:21 AM [permalink]